Has anyone got Open Office to access a remote mysql database?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Tue Dec 8 19:01:34 UTC 2009

I am trying to set up Open Office's database access to connect to a
remote (as in another computer on my LAN) database.  I'm failing
pretty miserably. This is in [x]ubuntu 9.10, Open Office 3.1.1.

Searching on Google it looks as if most other people are failing
miserably too, I can't find anywhere that gives a straightforward
description of how it shouod be done.

Apart from anything else the Open Office Base is *very* broken in all
sorts of ways which doesn't give one confidence.

So, what happens for me is as follows, I start up Open Office and ask
it to open a database, I (initially) go for "Connect to an existing
database" and select MySQL as it's a MySQL database I want to connect
to.

    Then click on Next.

    Select "Connect using JDBC (Java Database Conenctivity)

    Next

It then comes up with a ridiculously broken (or at least misleading)
GUI form which has the following boxes:-

    Name of the Database
    Server URL
    Port Number

If you try and find out what the Server URL should look like it
includes the database name and the Port Number so why are these
specified separately as well?

The if you try and reload an existing database it doesn't work either,
it offers you recently used ones, then if you select one it ignores
you and goes into browse mode.

--
Chris Green