Newcomer's question about existing software raid

Peter Humphrey peter at humphrey.ukfsn.org
Tue Dec 8 18:47:56 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 08 December 2009 18:37:32 Preston Hagar wrote:

> I would first try
>
> cat /proc/mdstat

It was empty at the time, but see my reply to Patrick, which has crossed yours
to me in the post :(

> If it doesn't show your RAID array, there are a couple of things you can
> try:
>
> mdadm --assemble --scan
[...]
> mdadm --assemble /dev/md2 [partitions]

They're already assembled and ready to go in this Gentoo system on the same
box.

> If that still doesn't work, I would try one of these solutions from
> the mdadm man page to figure out exactly which drives/partitions have
> the RAID superblocks on them so you know how to issue the assemble
> command:

Thanks for the detailed advice, but the raid setup was complete, Kubuntu
kernel just wasn't looking for it at boot time. It is now, so I'm relieved
not to have to go digging quite so deep :-)

> Hope this helps.

Indeed, and thanks again.

--
Rgds