Preseeding Jaunty v2

Stuart Murray-Smith eight32 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 15:15:41 UTC 2009

Greetings list :)

Let's try this again :)

I'm implementing preseeding [1] to automate vendor installs of Jaunty.

My append string in the isolinux/text.cfg file is:

append debian-installer/locale=en_ZA \
console-setup/layoutcode=en_ZA \
file=/cdrom/preseed/custom.seed \
boot=casper \
automatic-ubiquity \
noprompt \
initrd=/casper/initrd.gz quiet splash --

(please note I've put each param on a logical line for clarity, preseeding
doesn't work if all param's *aren't* all in same line :)

My custom.seed file (adapted from [2]) is:

d-i debian-installer/locale string en_ZA
d-i console-setup/ask_detect boolean false
d-i console-setup/layoutcode string us

d-i netcfg/choose_interface select auto

# Disable that annoying WEP key dialog.
d-i netcfg/wireless_wep string

d-i mirror/country string manual
d-i mirror/http/hostname string ubuntu.mirror.ac.za
d-i mirror/http/directory string /ubuntu-archive
d-i mirror/http/proxy string

d-i clock-setup/utc boolean false
d-i time/zone string Africa/Johannesburg
d-i clock-setup/ntp boolean true

d-i partman-auto/method string regular
d-i partman/confirm_write_new_label boolean true
d-i partman/choose_partition select finish
d-i partman/confirm boolean true

d-i passwd/user-fullname string Ubuntu User
d-i passwd/username string ubuntu
# echo "r00tm3" | mkpasswd -s -m md5
d-i passwd/user-password-crypted password $1$WR5ICm0/$s9YLBY.YisB1m30g.Jq9./

tasksel tasksel/first multiselect ubuntu-desktop

d-i grub-installer/only_debian boolean true
d-i grub-installer/with_other_os boolean true
d-i finish-install/reboot_in_progress note

xserver-xorg xserver-xorg/config/device/driver select vesa
xserver-xorg xserver-xorg/autodetect_monitor boolean true
xserver-xorg xserver-xorg/config/monitor/lcd boolean true
xserver-xorg xserver-xorg/config/monitor/selection-method select medium
xserver-xorg xserver-xorg/config/monitor/mode-list select 1024x768 @ 60 Hz

-The problem-

All d-i's are seemingly "answered" correctly, but at step 7 of 7 the
'Back' and 'Install' buttons are grayed out, not allowing me to commit
the install. Iterating through the d-i answers I've provided, it seems
as though the point of failure is somewhere in the 'Account Setup'.
Googling a bit, there are some traces that this was a bug in '08, but
has since been fixed.

Where may I have gone wrong?

Any insight highly appreciated, as always :)

Stu@

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/installation-guide/i386/appendix-preseed.html
[2] https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/installation-guide/example-preseed.txt