Ubuntu 9.10 locking up regularly after upgrade (Was Re: I am using Ubuntu 9.10 version - facing problem with my system)

Steve yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 1 00:06:51 UTC 2009

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 23:41:10 -0000, Amedee Van Gasse (ub)
<amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be> wrote:

> On Mon, November 30, 2009 23:34, Andrew Farris wrote:
>> On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 09:50 +0530, Electrotek_Chennai wrote:
>> [snip]
>>>  From that day onwards, my system gets struck while working.  I will
>>> have to restart the system to work again.  This happens nearly 20
>>> times a day.
>>
>> Is it the whole system that is hanging, or just the GUI? You can check
>> this the next time it hangs by hitting ctrl+alt+F1 (any key from F1 to
>> F6 should work, but for ease of communication and all...). If you get to
>> a text terminal then your computer is not freezing, rather the GUI is
>> locking up. Once it is determined which is actually happening, we can
>> focus on the right area.
>
> *snip*
>
> Sorry for jumping in, but my other computer also locks up a couple of
> times per week (or even per day). X freezes, no response from
> Ctrl+Alt+Fn,
> Ctrl+Alt+Backspace (yes I enabled it), Ctrl+Alt+Del, SysRq combo's,...
> Pinging the machine doesn't work either, and all ssh sessions that were
> open get cut off.
>
> Could such a thing be caused by a hardware problem? I already eliminated
> power supply, cooling, memory and hard disk as possible causes.

Could be,  I’ve seen the ribbon cables to IDE disks cause lock ups. I’d
moved everything but the Mobo and cables to another machine to test, so
was about to blame the Mobo until I tried the cables as well.
As several people are suffering this could it be the same/similar
hardware.  Perhaps if everybody, who suffers this problem, could list
their MOBO, CPU, Video card, etc. a common factor might appear.

--
Steve