error creating the child process for this terminal

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 31 18:15:37 UTC 2009

On 08/27/2009 04:09 AM, sam R wrote:
> The problem started when upgraded my OS from Ubuntu 8.10 to 9.04.
>

>  1- When I launch Terminal window I get this message and can't type
> anything.
>
> “There was an error creating the child process for this terminal”
>

>  2- when I try to update any package through *Update Manager *I get this
> message
>
> “Error failed to fork pty”
>

>  Now, since Ubuntu doesn't allow you to sign-in as root from the start-up
> GUI window, I'm having a problem modifying files to fix the* Terminal and
> Update Manager errors.*
>

>  Can someone help me please? Any suggestion?

Yes. Let's try Google:

<http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2B“Error+failed+to+fork+pty”>

Now launchpad:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sysvinit/+bug/338071>
[update manager "Error failed to fork pty"]

Read through the bug report & you will find that there was an error
during the upgrade process. The report will also provide you with
information on how to correct the problem. Give this a try:

1. At the GDM login screen, select 'Options|Select Session|Failsafe
Terminal|Change Session.

3. From the terminal window presented, enter (minus the $ prompt of course):

$ sudo mv /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh.dpkg-dist
/etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh

(Note: that last is 1 line.)

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install -f
$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
$ exit

reboot.

If you have issues with the terminal using #1 above: Boot into recovery
mode, select Root (use the down arrow) and enter the above commands
minus the 'sudo' - the prompt will change from $ to #.