Sound System Failure - Or Deaf Old Man...

Joseph ubuntu at e-pops.org
Thu Aug 27 11:33:04 UTC 2009

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04, the Jaunty Jackalope...   or Crusty
Cockroach....   :)

I loaded the 8.04 and it suggested the new 9.04....    so I did.  I
noticed that it does sounds for KNetWalk and a couple of other things,
but when I play a YouTube video, it does nothing.  I had to load a
program (I forget which one), so the videos would play...   I now can
play the video, but there's still no sound, except for what sounds like
a waterfall....

I'd run sudo pulseaudio --system and got this:

jlsnurr at jlsnurr-den:~$ sudo pulseaudio --system
W: main.c: Running in system mode, but --disallow-exit not set!
W: main.c: Running in system mode, but --disallow-module-loading not set!
N: main.c: Running in system mode, forcibly disabling SHM mode!
N: main.c: Running in system mode, forcibly disabling exit idle time!
E: pid.c: Daemon already running.
E: main.c: pa_pid_file_create() failed.

How can I get my audio system working?

--

Joseph Snurr
Cotter, AR.

"Age mellows some people; others it makes rotten." - Heard in Arkansas
Our May 2009 trip to the Memphis Zoo:    http://e-pops.org/memphiszoo/