Internet access : connecting to broadbans using log-in and password ??

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 25 21:17:19 UTC 2009

2009/8/25 Vincent Trouilliez <vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr>:
> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 18:36:45 +0100
> Peter Hillier-Brook <phb at hbsys.plus.com> wrote:
>
>> This problem has nothing to do with your operating system, either the
>> proposed Ubuntu or any other. The login/password is required by your
>> father's ISP and needs to be entered into the configuration of the
>> router. You should have been supplied with some configuration guidelines
>> in the router package and I suggest that it would pay you to read it ;-)
>>
>> If the router is a Netgear, or Linksys device I might be able to assist
>> from personal experience, but you really do need to RTFM.
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> The router has already been configured (well, the defaults settings
> worked, so nothing was touched...).

That is the point, you need to connect to the built in web interface
in the modem/router and configure the user name and password required
by your ISP.

> I think it does have to do with the OS. Under windows XP, using the
> connection "wizard"/assitant, my dad had to set up a "connection to
> internet broadband that requires a username and password", and said
> wizard asked for the username and password. Nothing else would work.
> Well, again, just like my old router-less modem, under Ubuntu,
> required me to set up the connection using "pppoeconfig" so I could
> give Ubuntu my username and password to use when connecting at power up.
>
> So the modem/router as ready to go I think, I am really looking to
> figure out the Ubuntu part now...
>
> Of course I did look at the thick user manual of this featurefull
> modem/router. From memory it's an Alcatel "SpeedTouch" something...
> It has a single Ethernet port.

Somewhere in there it should tell you where to set the
username/password for your ISP.  You may need to set up some other ISP
related stuff also (PPPoA and so on).
On windows the wizard (supplied with the router I presume) did this
for you.  Since the wizard will not work on Ubuntu you must do it by
hand.  However, if you setup the router using the wizard in Windoze it
will not need setting up again for Ubuntu as it does not know which OS
you are using.

All this assumes of course that it is the ISP username/password that
you are talking about.  Perhaps there is a misunderstanding here.

Colin