Internet access : connecting to broadbans using log-in and password ??

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Tue Aug 25 20:50:08 UTC 2009

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 18:36:45 +0100
Peter Hillier-Brook <phb at hbsys.plus.com> wrote:

> This problem has nothing to do with your operating system, either the
> proposed Ubuntu or any other. The login/password is required by your
> father's ISP and needs to be entered into the configuration of the
> router. You should have been supplied with some configuration guidelines
> in the router package and I suggest that it would pay you to read it ;-)
>
> If the router is a Netgear, or Linksys device I might be able to assist
> from personal experience, but you really do need to RTFM.

Hi Peter,

The router has already been configured (well, the defaults settings
worked, so nothing was touched...).
I think it does have to do with the OS. Under windows XP, using the
connection "wizard"/assitant, my dad had to set up a "connection to
internet broadband that requires a username and password", and said
wizard asked for the username and password. Nothing else would work.
Well, again, just like my old router-less modem, under Ubuntu,
required me to set up the connection using "pppoeconfig" so I could
give Ubuntu my username and password to use when connecting at power up.

So the modem/router as ready to go I think, I am really looking to
figure out the Ubuntu part now...

Of course I did look at the thick user manual of this featurefull
modem/router. From memory it's an Alcatel "SpeedTouch" something...
It has a single Ethernet port.

--
Vince