Computer problem

Andrew Farris flyindragon1 at aol.com
Thu Aug 20 18:44:07 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-20 at 05:26 -0600, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
[snip]
> > Karl, I have built several systems over the years and usually order the
> > motherboard with matching processor and memory from same source.  Even
> > comes with the processor, fan and memory installed into the board.
> >
> > search google for barebones systems
> >
>     I am learning the hard way that that is the way to go!

I usually prefer avoiding bare-bones systems, mainly because I like to
pick every last thing out myself... that and its usually cheaper to
build fully from scratch.  I suppose it always just comes down to how
much convenience you're willing to pay for.

> I did however
> find a cpu which was hard because many places had sold out, that got me
> a cpu that works on a AM2 socket:
>
> *AMD Athlon 64 LE-1640 / 2.6 GHz Processor*
> SKU:Q42894
> UNIT PRICE:$45.99
> WEIGHT:1.00 lbs(s)
> FREE SHIPPING
>         1
> $0.00
>
> $45.99
>
>     So now I wait for this to be delivered. I did verify it is  an older cpu and made to work with my motherboard AND BIOS!

The Athlon series have been a robust little chip, in my experience.
best of luck with that one!

--
Andrew