multicasting

Michael Welle mwe012008 at gmx.net
Thu Aug 20 14:46:07 UTC 2009

Hi,

Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca> writes:
[...]
>> started up by default). If you want your box to be a multicasting
>> server, you have to have avahi-daemon running, have to enable it to be
>> a server in "/etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf", and define its service(s)
>> in "/etc/avahi/services/".
>
> Huh?  What does avahi (a network service locator) have to do with
> multicasting (the ability to send TCP/IP packets to a single address and
> have them received by multiple clients connected to the same multicast
> address)?  Avahi simply _uses_ multicasting - it doesn't enable it.
correct. I'm not sure, but IIRC the emcast toolkit comes with a
'generic' mcast client/server (And if I find the time to test the code
and check it in the flood tool will come with mechanisms to join mcast
groups. Anyways, at the moment we can only guess about the objectives
of the OP ;).

Regards
hmw

--
biff4emacsen - A biff-like tool for (X)Emacs
http://www.c0t0d0s0.de/biff4emacsen/biff4emacsen.html