Followup to new Nvidia GS7600 GS install

jerry jerryturba at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 17 18:29:12 UTC 2009

Thanks to help of you guys I installed the new nvidia card without a hitch.

jerry at jerry-desktop:~ $ dpkg -l nvidia*
| Status=Not/Installed/Config-f/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/t-aWait/T-pend
uppercase=bad)
||/ Name             Version          Description
+++-================-================-================================================
un  nvidia-glx       <none>           (no description available)
un  nvidia-glx-legac <none>           (no description available)
ii  nvidia-glx-new   169.12+2.6.24.18 NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x/X.Org
'new' driver
un  nvidia-glx-src   <none>           (no description available)
un  nvidia-kernel-16 <none>           (no description available)
un  nvidia-kernel-71 <none>           (no description available)
un  nvidia-kernel-96 <none>           (no description available)
ii  nvidia-kernel-co 20051028+1ubuntu NVIDIA binary kernel module common
files
un  nvidia-new-kerne <none>           (no description available)
ii  nvidia-settings  1.0+20080304-0ub Tool of configuring the NVIDIA
graphics driver
un  nvidia-xconfig   <none>           (no description available)

I don't know why it says nvidia-xconfig is not installed. I ran sudo
nvidia-xconfig and it said that it wrote a new xorg.conf.

Since the nvidia driver is not supported by ubuntu what will I have to
do when I install a new kernel or upgrade from Hardy to a newer release?

Thanks again for your help.

Jerry