KDE 4.3 PPA Install In Jaunty-Dependencies Issues[SOLVED]

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 17 03:59:47 UTC 2009

--- On Sun, 8/16/09, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> From: NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: Re: KDE 4.3 PPA Install In Jaunty-Dependencies Issues
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Sunday, August 16, 2009, 3:47 PM
> On 08/16/2009 12:42 PM, Leonard
> Chatagnier wrote:
> >
> > --- On Sun, 8/16/09, NoOp <snipped> wrote:
> >> https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/staging
> >> states:
> >> <quote>
> >> Description
> >>
> >> For the love of the blue gears, DO NOT USE.
> >> This is where we build and stage the packages for
> final
> >> release, so this
> >> will never have usable packages.
> >> </quote>
> >>
> > Well, It's installed and except for the dependency
> issue mentioned in the original post everything seems
> OK.  I suppose that when I tire of it or run into
> trouble I don't want to contend with, I will follow the same
> instructions to remove it and go back to the older
> version.  Some googling indicates it's a dependency
> issue that the developers have to sort out yet some Kubuntu
> user urls indicate a solution but everyone of those are
> unaccessable.  Google not always your friend.
> >>

> Launchpad generally is...
> https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=libindi0
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libindi/+bug/364918
> [libindi0 conflicts with indi]

Had seen many of the urls in the first link above but what solved my depends issue was found in the 2nd one.
The workaround solution is at the very end of the page:

sudo dpkg -r indi

followed by:

sudo aptitude install libindi0   (they used apt-get but I prefer aptitude)

I'm almost sure I tried to remove indi with aptitude and apt-get but didn't try dpkg -r indi which worked. The depends broke the apt-get and aptitude remove indi command; I think because the order wasn't followed correctly to satisfy the depends, IMO and I never overtly tried to stop the indi server in all cases.
Whether, the indi server was running or not, I know not, but in my case entering the command dpkg -r indi removed indi and allowed be to install livindi0 and all is well.
I'll now play with KDE 4.3 until I'm tired of it and decide to uninstall. Thanks for the solution. I hope this helps someone else as all my searching indicated to me there wasn't one.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net