jaunty slow on laptop

Jay Daniels tux at myt60.net
Fri Aug 14 23:38:30 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-08-14 at 15:54 -0400, Jayson Williams wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Jayson
> Williams<williams.jayson at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Jesus man, why don't you go back in time and install twm and run term
> >> and xclock, yuck!
> >>
> >> Really, I found fluxbox unusable and font size was inconstant between
> >> themes.  Makes me remember how awful X started out.
> >>
> >> Gnome or even KDE is light-years ahead of fluxbox.  Sure the screen
> >> shots of flux on the web "look" good, but it's not what you think.  Just
> >> another reason to not ditch ctrl+backspace!
> >

> > Not to hijack the OP thread, but I guess in the end it boils down to
> > what you want your system to be able to do. All the eye candy of Gnome
> > was great, but the steady decline in performance was not worth it for
> > me. Could have been my ineptness in configuring Gnome, but why should
> > I have to be a guru to make my display manager behave the way I want
> > it to. Not sure when you last had a look at fluxbox, but in my
> > opinion, fluxbox does with simplicity what it says it will do. Three
> > or four configuration files that clearly control the look and feel of
> > everything. If your want the eye candy thing, gdesklets offers a
> > plethora of options. Fluxbox takes a small bit of getting use to, and
> > I was not a fan when I first tired it out. But after being frustrated
> > with Xfce and Gnome, (admittedly I have never given KDE a whirl),
> > Fluxbox allowed me to configure everything exactly the way I wanted
> > it, with no surprises. As an added bonus, my login time dropped from
> > almost 20 seconds to about 5 seconds.  If your priority is fancy
> > transitions, animated icons and all the other compiz like bells and
> > whistles, Fluxbox may not be for you (although you can do most of that
> > in Fluxbox as well). But if your priority is efficiency, speed and
> > complete yet simple control of your window managers configuration,
> > then I would highly recommend Fluxbox 1.1.1.
> > Its not just for cavemen anymore : )
> >

> Update
> ...and my apologies once again to the OP.
> I use to think I was all about function an cared little about
> eye-candy. Then I had a look at KDE4. Wow! FluxWhat? KDE4 rocks. Jay
> your were right. I was profoundly wrong!
>
> Jayson

I would not run proprietory drivers, but today my son wanted to play
alien arena and it would not play on 8.04 so I was forced to install
ati's drivers.  I downloaded the latest driver and used the instructions
to build the .deb's from the unofficial wiki site.

Darn thing gets hot now and it it sure puts the fan to the test;)

jay