Best cheap laptop for linux?

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Aug 14 13:23:40 UTC 2009

Graham,

> Graham Todd wrote:

> > NoOP, I don't know where Mohamed is located in the world, but here in
> > the UK ISPs are **REQUIRED** by law to examine all email traffic and
> > "to maintain a reasonable intercept capability".  [The Regulation of
> > Investigatory Powers Act 2000 - see
> > http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2000/oct/24/qanda ] By using GnuPG I can
> > monitor whether my emails (to the list or anywhere else) have been
> > modified or interfered with.

This is a bit misleading. The RIP Act expressly forbids ISPs to examine
your e-mail traffic unless asked to do so by the police in the
investigation of some crime. The request requires a signature from a
high ranking officer, it might even require the home secretary.

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold,                        Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 6093
Head of IT Security,                Fax: +44 (0) 870 136 1004
Manchester M13 9PL.                 Email: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk