JMicrovision does not install at all

Fred Roller froller at tnclimited.com
Wed Aug 12 14:13:51 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-12 at 14:05 +0100, MARENBA wrote:
> 3. THE PROBLEM ARISES WHEN I TYPE
>
>        chmod -R u+x /home/[user]/Desktop/JMicroVision-v127-linux (I
> KNOW THAT I SHOULD INSERT THE NAME OF THE COMPUTER IN USER, FOR
> INSTANCE)
Insert your user name in the user field not the computer name.  For
instance:
froller at metis:~$ chmod -R u+x /home/froller/Desktop/JMicroVision...
  ^       ^                            ^
 user    comp

Remember, this is done AFTER you uncompress the .tar.gz file.  see
below.

> THERE'S A MESSAGE SAYING THE DIRECTORY DOES NOT EXIST.
>

> IF I USE cd TO WORK WITHIN THE DIRECTORY OR EVEN IF I TYPE THE CHANGE
> MODE (chmod) NOTHING WORKS.
>

> THERE ARE, HOWEVER, SOMETHING VERY ODD. EVEN IN THE PAGE WHERE I HAVE
> DOWNLOADED THE SOFTWARE A tar.gz FORMAT IS ALWAYS MENTIONED. THERE IS
> IN THE DIRECTORY NO SUC tar.gz THE ONLY SIMILAR FILE IS
> JMicroVision.jar
This requires a whole different set of instructions.  The jar is their
fall back or alternate install.

Download from:
http://www.jmicrovision.com/v127/JMicroVision-v127-linux.tar.gz

I have downloaded and, with the instructions given started the program
on Ubuntu 9.04 64bit.