X problem understood

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 12:28:14 UTC 2009

Chris Mohler wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 9:38 PM, Shannon McMackin<smcmackin at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>  From what I understand, Karl had the card mounted, but not secured.  He
>> decided to secure the card with the screw in the PCI mounting plate and
>> in the process exerted too much force and potentially broke something.
>>
>> Video cards can be tricky with their additional connections.  Always
>> best to have the machine up on the bench for the project.
>>

> Hell, anything connected to your PC deserves careful attention.  I
> once had a landlady who powered up her PC with the RAM not fully
> inserted - say hello to toast.  Luckily we found her an exact
> replacement MB on eBay and it was not a super-costly mistake.  And
> luckily the damage was only to the RAM and MB.  But fixing her up gave
> me some leeway on the rent at least :)
>
> Chris

    I am 75 years old. All my life I have done technical jobs myself.
I'm 6'4" tall and weigh 240 lbs. I was successful in business and sold
the business 12 years ago.

    This experience tells me I am too big and have lost my touch on
small things. I will buy the AMD chip for the new computer and get it
working. In the meantime I have a temporary slow old computer that will
work while I am getting the new one ready.

karl