X problems

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 12:46:27 UTC 2009

Fred Roller wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-08-11 at 05:55 -0600, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>> Fred Roller wrote:

>>> Karl, if you have a spare video card, swap it out to make sure you
>>> didn't damage something during the install.  Sounds like you had to shoe
>>> horn the thing in and may have damaged it in some way.  Let's be sure
>>> the hardware is good to go first.
>>>
>>     I do have the video card that is on the mother board. I removed the
>> pci card and worked with that video device and had exactly the same
>> image size problem. This seems to tell me the problem is software, not
>> hardware.
>>
>> 73 Karl
>>

> What do your logs have in them?

(II) Loading extension X-Resource
(II) LoadModule: "type1"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module type1
(II) UnloadModule: "type1"
(EE) Failed to load module "type1" (module does not exist, 0)
(II) LoadModule: "freetype"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module freetype
(II) UnloadModule: "freetype"
(EE) Failed to load module "freetype" (module does not exist, 0)
(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so
(II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
	Module class: X.Org Server Extension
(II) NVIDIA GLX Module  180.44  Mon Mar 23 15:29:02 PST 2009
(II) Loading extension GLX
(II) LoadModule: "record"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//librecord.so
(II) Module record: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
	Module class: X.Org Server Extension
	ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0
(II) Loading extension RECORD
(II) LoadModule: "dri"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri.so
(II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
	ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0
(II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI
(II) LoadModule: "dri2"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri2.so
(II) Module dri2: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
	ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0
(II) Loading extension DRI2
(II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so
(II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"

This is /var/log/Xorg.O.log and it is very long but it shows that the
good nidia driver was not found and the very simple driver is loaded by
default. And that is exactly the problem!

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User