[ubuntu-users] VirtualBox-3.0.4-50677-Win.exe

Ted Hilts thilts at mcsnet.ca
Sun Aug 9 23:05:27 UTC 2009

I have a number of XP machines 3 of which  do nothing except  run under
Firefox browser getting the RSS news from Newsfox addon and capturing it
under the Scrapbook addon. I would have preferred Ubuntu (and did try)
but it gets overloaded by accumulating players under the gtk-gnash
process often accumulating hundreds of these processes because there are
hundreds of RSS news articles. This gathering of the news takes a lot of
time so I got this idea that maybe VirtualBox  could be installed on
each of these XP machines and within VirtualBox I could install Linux
systems and use these Linux systems for development and documentation
efforts.  So I started  this effort by installing Ubuntu (my favorite
Linux system) into VirtualBox  on one of the XP machines.  I had
struggled with whether it would be better to have XP as the Host system
in VirtualBox or whether Ubuntu should be the Host system. I settled on
XP being the Host system.

Everything went well until I got Ubuntu installed in VirtualBox and
concluded the installation after which I booted Ubuntu and got the
following message:

Starting up...
PANIC: CPU too old for this Kernel

It took me a while to figure out what had happenned.
The XP machine CPU is:
Dell Computer Corp
OpticPlex GX260
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU
2.391 MHx
2.00 GB RAM

There were no set up requirements regarding the hardware just a
reference to various  MS operating systems.  So, I don't know what the
minimal requirements should be only that Pentium 4 which runs ok on XP
won't work on the SUN VirtualBox to run  Ubuntu 2.6 kernel.

This was very disturbing because I spent half the night installing
Ubuntu within the SUN VirtualBox.

Does anyone know what the minimal CPU requirements for XP used as the
base host system of the SUN VirtualBox-3.0.4-50677-Win.exe in order to
successfully operate Ubuntu kernel 2.6 on this base host system???

And has anyone had a similar situation occur.

Thanks in advance to anyone wishing to give me input.

Thanks -- Ted Hilts