flash stopped working after update?!

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 9 14:46:23 UTC 2009

On 08/07/2009 08:53 PM, Karl Auer wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-08-07 at 20:08 -0700, NoOp wrote:
>> Try:
>>
>> $ sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-nonfree flashplugin-installer
>> $ sudo apt-get install abobe-flashplugin
>
> Now here's a thing!
>
> I did the first of the above steps, the second failed,

You will need to enable the partner repositories: open Synaptic -
Settings|Repositories|Third-Party
Software|http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu <release> partner

BUT when I go, as
> suggested, to
>
>> test using: http://flash.com
>
> I see what looks very much like working flash. What exactly should I see
> there if flash is working?

There is a flash presentation that loads in the top 1/3 of the window.
You can also test just by going to youtube.com & clicking on a flash
presentation.

>> You should then also see:
>> $ sudo update-alternatives --all
>>
>> There is only 1 program which provides firefox-flashplugin
>> (/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so). Nothing to configure.
>
> Nope - there is NO flashplugin installed - that I can see in
> alternatives, anyway.
>
> But about:plugins shows exactly what you expected:
>
>> Shockwave Flash
>>
>>     File name: libflashplayer.so
>>     Shockwave Flash 10.0 r32
>
> - except it is 10.0 r22
>
> Now I am really confused.

It's quite possible that you have libflashplayer.so in your
~/.mozilla/plugins folder. What is the result of:

$ locate libflashplayer.so

Note: I typically put my own plugins into ~/.mozilla/plugins as I run
multiple versions (non-Ubuntu) of SeaMonkey, Thunderbird, Firefox etc).
But the other day I was having issues due to some of my plugins
(quicktime) not working & outdated. So, on this machine I decided (at
least for now) to test w/everything the "Ubuntu" way. What I did was:
moved my plugins folder out of the way & then made plugins a symlink to
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. So far it's been working quite well.