Networking Help

Fred Roller froller at tnclimited.com
Sat Aug 8 22:03:27 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-08-07 at 18:17 -0700, CIRCLE STUDY wrote:
> I am a Post graduate teacher wants to set my school LAN with Ubuntu so that i could give a common secured platform. For this I have loaded ubuntu desktop version in two of my machines in LAN, I have set up their IP suitably, they started pinging each other. Now the main problem is :
>
>     i) How could I see the contents of one machine on LAN from another    ubuntu machine, on the same LAN, it was very much easier in case of XP , that one used to go to MyNetwork and was able to see all the machines in the LAN , and further he can roam the shared drives of other machine. But how should I do all that in Ubuntu. I am unable to find the documents of one machine from another machine, though they are Pinging.
>
> ii) Is it compulsory to have a Domain setting for Ubuntu LAN configuration , isn't their any substitute for WORKGROUP Concepts of Windows over here.
>
> iii) How to share internet between two or more Ubuntu Machine on LAN. I have a dsl-modem configuration on one of the Ubuntu Desktop on my LAN.
>
> Kindly help me out.
> Kamal Kant Gupta  PGT (Comp. Sc.)   Kendriya Vidyalaya

You may want to look into edubuntu project:

http://edubuntu.org/

Aside from great ed software they work with clustering, teacher machine,
student machines, etc.  read on it and let us know what you think.
--
Fred R.
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like Linux - simple; if you are fighting it, you are doing
something wrong."