Networking Help

Fred Roller froller at tnclimited.com
Sat Aug 8 22:52:40 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-08-07 at 18:17 -0700, CIRCLE STUDY wrote:
> I am a Post graduate teacher wants to set my school LAN with Ubuntu so
> that i could give a common secured platform. For this I have loaded
> ubuntu desktop version in two of my machines in LAN, I have set up
> their IP suitably, they started pinging each other. Now the main
> problem is :

To answer your post more directly...

First you seem new, but familiar, to Ubuntu/linux and familar with
networks and windows.  I only wonder so as to know how technical to
address your posts.

>     i) How could I see the contents of one machine on LAN from another
> ubuntu machine, on the same LAN,
install and use ssh (secure shell)
> it was very much easier in case of XP , that one used to go to
> MyNetwork and was able to see all the machines in the LAN , and
> further he can roam the shared drives of other machine.
Still can very similar to M$, as pointed out by Steve, right click and
share the folders you would like to do in this fashion.  Read on Samba
share (google it) and you can see both M$ and linux shares.

> But how should I do all that in Ubuntu. I am unable to find the
> documents of one machine from another machine, though they are
> Pinging.
I prefer ssh'ing on a local network.

> ii) Is it compulsory to have a Domain setting for Ubuntu LAN
> configuration , isn't their any substitute for WORKGROUP Concepts of
> Windows over here.
You can look into several options for setting up a domain with linux.
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Domain.html
This is only one such how to doing a "linux setup domain" search

> iii) How to share internet between two or more Ubuntu Machine on LAN.
> I have a dsl-modem configuration on one of the Ubuntu Desktop on my
> LAN.
We would need more specific information on your setup to understand this
one. such as

ISP

DSL modem (is this a router?)

Ubuntu Machine (modem to one nic? second nic to network?)
?
?

or similar to mine

ISP

Cable Modem

Router

Switch

PCs

There are a ton of tools and applications which will accomplish what you
want.  First thing to learn is not to think in M$ terms.  You have
options and as one sig says in the forum, "change comes in small steps."
Also, you may want to consider breaking this post down into more
specific steps/posts.

--
Fred R.
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like Linux - simple; if you are fighting it, you are doing
something wrong."