Camera problem

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 8 20:17:30 UTC 2009

2009/8/8 Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com>:
> 2009/8/8 Mike <jr9893 at sbcglobal.net>:
>> This is a repost:
>>
>> I am no longer able to import photos from my digital camera (Nikon
>> Coolpix 2100).
>> I am using Ubuntu version 8.04. I have used this version in the past to
>> import photos from my camera with no problem. Normally I store them in a
>> folder called Pictures and file an arange them with F-Spot.
>> The error I get is:
>>    Error connecting to camera
>>    Received error "Could not lock the device"
>>    while connecting to camera
>
> Is it possible that you have changed the USB interface mode on the
> camera?  My Nikon 4600 allows PTP and Mass Storage and I have to have
> it in PTP mode for it to mount correctly.  I don't get that error
> message but that may be a function of the particular driver for your
> camera s/w you are using.
>
> Colin

On looking at your problem report again I realise that you are not
saying that you used to be able to successfully transfer from the
camera on the PC you are now trying - just that it is the same version
of Ubuntu.  I have just done what perhaps you should have done which
is to google for 'ubuntu error connecting camera lock device' and it
came up with this bug report with some possible workarounds.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/f-spot/+bug/258083

Colin