Irresponsive Touchpad

DaveGK davegk at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 11:44:00 UTC 2009

I'm experiencing a rather strange touchpad behaviour - sometimes it's
fine, sometimes I have to tap it a few times to get result. Also, for
some reason there's no touchpad tab in mouse preferences window. I did
check in gconf-editor and touchpad is checked. An attempt to install
GSynaptics wasn't successful: all seems fine, but when I try to start
it, I get:
" GSynaptics couldn't initialize. You have to set 'SHMConfig' 'true' in
xorg.conf or XF86Config to use GSynaptics "
Now, there is no SHMConfig in the xorg.conf and I don't know what to add
(i.e. there must be a subsection etc).

System: Ubuntu Jaunty 64-bit, ext4. Acer Aspire 7735G

Appreciate any help, but please be gentle - a newbie here :))

--
Cheers,
Dave