setup not detecting partition

Andrew Farris flyindragon1 at aol.com
Sat Aug 8 09:18:39 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-08-08 at 02:56 +0000, Haneef Bashir wrote:
> i tried re-installing ubuntu, on a hard drive that has about 5
> partitions. however when i use the live hardy cd and go through the
> instillation, when i get to hard disk preparation, it shows the entire
> drive as unallocated space. this is the same with gparted. however
> under places the partitions are there and i can open them. i have
> windows on one partition and would like to install ubuntu on one of
> the others, what can i do to fix this?

I know this may not be terribly helpful, but this same thing happened to
my brother's old computer right before the PSU died/caught fire.  Turned
out his partition map was all F-ed up due to some odd corruption.  A
very kind, knowledgeable person in the forums was able to interpret my
issue, and guide me through creating a new partition map on the
system...but honestly, I don't think I could repeat by myself, and I'm
nowhere near that skilled. Hopefully somebody else will see this thread,
and provide better assistance :)

For other helpers though, I'm assuming you dont have an existing ubuntu
install...so if you could, please run:
    sudo fdisk -l
while in the liveCD and post back the output, along with what you know
your hard-drive partition setup should be.  If you have an existing
ubuntu install that boots, then please run that command inside there.

Hope that helps

--
Andrew