Software Installation Pains

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 5 23:10:03 UTC 2009

On 08/05/2009 09:50 AM, Edwin McGuire wrote:
> New to Ubuntu, Last Linux distro I had was Mandrake 7.1
> anyways still learning.
> here's my problem.
>
> I'm running Ubuntu 9.04
> Downloaded some files (Gparted,VirtualBox,Wine,WVDial,Debconf.) from the Web at the library, so far none will install.
> Location of files=
> /media/DAD'S THUMB/Linux/Wine/wine-dbg_1.1.26~winehq1-1_i386.deb
> If I Click on a file then package installer window opens then status says
>
> "Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: wine (= 1.1.26~winehq1-1)"
>
> Plus same here.
>
> /media/DAD'S THUMB/Linux/modem/wvdial_1.60.1+nmu2_i386.deb
>
> "Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libuniconf4.4"
>
> What am I doing wrong?

As others have mentioned, using the repositories & Synaptic is your best
bet. However, it appears that you may be on dialup (hence wvdial?) so
that may not always be practical.

If you are going to download from the library make sure that you use the
'packages.ubuntu' to: 1) check the depends to see if you already have
those installed - if not download & install those first, and 2) to
download - if you go outside of the Ubuntu repositories/mirrors you may
end up with something that will not work. So for example:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/wvdial
note the 'depends':
debconf (>= 0.5.00)
dep: libc6 (>= 2.4)
dep: libuniconf4.4
dep: libwvstreams4.4-base
dep: libwvstreams4.4-extras
dep: libxplc0.3.13
dep: ppp (>= 2.3.0)

If you don't already have those installed, you'll need to also download
& install. For libuniconf4.4, click on the depends link for
libuniconf4.4 and you will end up at:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/libuniconf4.4
You can click on the amd64 or i386 in the download section to download
the deb.
Note:to check to see if you already have a dependency installed:

$ apt-cache policy <packagename>
  example
$ apt-cache policy libuniconf4.4
  and if installed: