Converting .ogg to .wmv or .mp4, .mpeg

komputes komputes at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 20:11:23 UTC 2009

Ray Parrish wrote:
> komputes wrote:
>
>> Yes it converts it to mpeg already, avi is just the container (if I'm
>> not mistaking). ffmpeg cannot write wmv files as far as I know. If you
>> would like to specify the target format use the following option in your
>> command (taken from ffmpeg's man page):
>>
>>        -target type
>>            Specify target file type ("vcd", "svcd", "dvd", "dv", "dv50",
>> "pal-vcd", "ntsc-svcd", ... ). All the format options (bitrate, codecs,
>> buffer sizes)
>>            are then set automatically. You can just type:
>>
>>                    ffmpeg -i myfile.avi -target vcd /tmp/vcd.mpg
>>

>> -komputes
>>

> Hello again,
>
> I successfully converted an .ogg file to mpeg with ffmpeg by copying the
> command you gave before.
>
> Winff converts to .wmv format, but not .mpg, and it uses ffmpeg to do
> so. I wonder how to make a preset in winff to convert to mpg instead of
> just .wmv which is all I can find in it right now.

Hey look at that, it does wmv! For MPEG, the choices VCD (MPEG1) DVD
(MPEG2) and MP4 (MPEG4) given by winff are all mpg.

I wonder why it doesn't needs (as Chris suggested) the full ffmpeg from
medibuntu to convert to .wmv successfully. The codec it uses is wmv2 for
video and wma.v8 for audio. Are these not restricted formats?
> Was that 5000 k bit rate a joke, or is it a valid setting? I got lots of
> the following errors when I ran that command you gave me before.

No joke. Is it too high? I just tested a few bitrates when I was making
a screencast recorded in .ogv by gtk-recordmydesktop. I did not want to
lose any quality before bringing it into avidemux. It works for me and
re-encoded with the least amount of quality loss through compression.

-komputes