Converting .ogg to .wmv or .mp4, .mpeg

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Wed Aug 5 05:21:19 UTC 2009

komputes wrote:
> Yes it converts it to mpeg already, avi is just the container (if I'm
> not mistaking). ffmpeg cannot write wmv files as far as I know. If you
> would like to specify the target format use the following option in your
> command (taken from ffmpeg's man page):
>
>        -target type
>            Specify target file type ("vcd", "svcd", "dvd", "dv", "dv50",
> "pal-vcd", "ntsc-svcd", ... ). All the format options (bitrate, codecs,
> buffer sizes)
>            are then set automatically. You can just type:
>
>                    ffmpeg -i myfile.avi -target vcd /tmp/vcd.mpg
>

> -komputes

Hello again,

I successfully converted an .ogg file to mpeg with ffmpeg by copying the
command you gave before.

Winff converts to .wmv format, but not .mpg, and it uses ffmpeg to do
so. I wonder how to make a preset in winff to convert to mpg instead of
just .wmv which is all I can find in it right now.

Was that 5000 k bit rate a joke, or is it a valid setting? I got lots of
the following errors when I ran that command you gave me before.

[mpeg @ 0xb7f86110]packet too large, ignoring buffer limits to mux it
[mpeg @ 0xb7f86110]buffer underflow
[mpeg @ 0xb7f86110]buffer underflowime=85.0 bitrate=5103.5kbits/s

I've also just been reading the man page for ffmpeg, and now see how
easy it is to use. Thank you for tipping me off on this program, as the
man page for the other command line converter I installed was pages, and
pages long with option after option, whereas ffmpeg's page is concise,
and it's options are fewer, and simpler to understand, but very adequate
for my purposes.

Later, Ray Parrish

--
The Furure of Technology