[ubuntu users] Upgrading

Ted Hilts thilts at mcsnet.ca
Sun Aug 2 21:44:41 UTC 2009

Ted Hilts wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
>
>> Ted Hilts wrote:
>>

>>> The last automatic upgrade "failed" and it now appears unable to
>>> recognize the file system or some aspect of the file system.  Every
>>> time I have to power down I get this same problem and the system
>>> indicates something wrong with the file system and then provides a
>>> admin shell telling me to fix the problem.
>>>

>> I suppose you have to run fsck from the root shell. That would be the
>> command
>>
>> e2fsck -y -C0 /dev/sda1
>>
>> where you should replace the "/dev/sda1" with the partition name for
>> your / file system if necessary.
>>

>> Nils
>>

> Nils
>
> Thanks for the input -- I don't know why I did not try that, just panic
> I guess -- It will be a couple of days before I shut down again so I
> will get back to you with the results at that time. Hopefully your
> suggestion will solve the problem. Also, thanks for the complete command!
>
> Ted Hilts

Nils

I restarted and no problem which I thought was strange because I had done nothing and there was no error messages.

So then I shutdown and then rebooted and still no problem.

Then I shutdown again and pulled the power plug and still no problem rebooting.

In other words the system was telling me there was no problem and so was the monitor package and I had done no maintenance intervention.

So I never had a chance to try out your suggestion  -- I find this most disturbing.

HOWEVER, I have noticed some kind of anomaly in that when powering down and rebooting that the power on button at the FRONT of the machine fails to power up the machine and there is just some kind of power flicker.  I dealt with this by also turning off, waiting and then turning on the power-off toggle switch on the BACK of the machine.

What I did differently this last time was to ALSO REMOVE the power cord after I turned off the power-on/power-off toggle switch at the BACK of the machine.  *** The problem may somehow be tied to that power flicker.*** Why the problem reported by Ubuntu was associated with the file system and now the problem appears not to exist I haven't a clue. If there really was a problem with the file system then it must have repaired itself when coming back to life on the reboot sequence.  Come to think of it, there were no notices of failure as before.

In the future when I power down and boot up I am going to remove the power cord and wait a few minutes before rebooting.  If the problem does not reoccur then the anomaly is hardware based.  However if the problem does re-occur and is the same as before I will use the command line you so kindly provided.

I will let you know if the problem reoccurs even after pulling out the power plug.

Thanks again, Ted Hilts