[solved] Re: Should I buy a new graphics card or a new computer?

Thomas Kaiser ubuntu at kaiser-linux.li
Thu Apr 30 17:36:40 UTC 2009

On 04/28/2009 08:45 PM, Thomas Kaiser wrote:
> Thomas Kaiser wrote:
>>> Certainly does....
>>>
>>> Looking at

>>> it would seem your card is support by the latest driver.
>>>
>>> What happens if you install the driver by hand using apt-get ?
>> In the mean time, I tried already all of the nvidia-glx-nnn with apt-get
>>   and it was always the same "... low-graphics-mode".
>>
>> Anyway, as it looks like the 180 is the right one I try again.
>> My card has the ID 10DE:0140. So the 180 should fit.
>
> Looks like I got little progress.
> I stay with nvidia-glx-180 and I get this "low-graphics-mode" box. When
> I press OK for using the "low-graphics-mode only for this session", both
> monitors a running in (I guess) 640x480 (with the same picture in each
> screen).
>
> Now, I just disconnected the monitor which was connected to the DVI port
> (VGA monitor with DVI-VGA adapter), rebooted.
>
> I still get the "low-graphics-mode" box but now the monitor is running
> in its native resolution (1280x1024).... Looks like progress ;-)
>
> I tried to lunch the display configuration tool and it tells me that I
> have to use the nvidia tool. A "exiting" click on this button wasn't
> that exiting :-( The nvidia tool displayed that I don't use a nvidia
> driver. Looks somehow strange...
>
> The native tool tells me to use the nvidia tool and the nvidia tool
> tells me I don't use a nvidia driver.
>
> Chicken Eg problem?

Ok, I got it working :-). I used my old xorg.conf file from the 8.10
install. Connected only the one monitor on the VGA port of the card and
removed all entries for the second monitor from the xorg.conf file.

Rebooted and the "low-graphics-mode" message disappeared. I could log in
and the one monitor was working fine.

Checked the "Hardware Drivers" tool and no driver is there. Checked the
xorg.conf file and driver is nvidia which is right. The nvidia kernel
module is loaded, too. No I started the "Display Configuration" tool
again and ended up with the nvidia tool which now sees the driver :-)

Shut-down, connect the 2. monitor, restart. I started then the nvidia
tool and I was able to configure the 2. monitor as "right of". Saved the
configuration to my home folder. Copied over to /etc/X11/ and reboot.

Now, both monitors run like before in 8.10 :-). So, I am happy again.

But the "Hardware Drivers" tool doesn't see any proprietary driver!

Thomas