$sudo aptitude update

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 01:20:21 UTC 2009

  I went to man aptitude and quick I found this:

update
Updates the list of available packages from the apt sources (this
is equivalent to “apt-get update”)

So then I did a apt-get update and got:

Get:12 http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/multiverse Packages
[11.9kB]
Get:13 http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/multiverse Sources [1105B]
Fetched 361kB in 15s (23.3kB/s)
W: GPG error: http://dl.google.com stable Release: The following
signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available:
NO_PUBKEY A040830F7FAC5991
W: Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386
(20080423)]/dists/hardy/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use
apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot
be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386
(20080423)]/dists/hardy/restricted/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use
apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot
be used to add new CD-ROMs

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.

Notice it says it "Failed to fetch cdrom". This means the apt sources,
not my computer.

Karl