Jaunty Joy

Steven Susbauer steven at too1337.com
Tue Apr 28 17:41:20 UTC 2009

Michael Haney wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 9:43 AM, David Fox <dfox94085 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The newer X.org stuff is supposed to autodetect screen resolution, but
>> I think it could still use some overrides. For instance, my ViewSonic
>> E90 monitor I know is capable of doing better than 1152x864 or
>> whatever the resolution is. It should be capable of doing 1600x1200.
>> But I'm using the intel video driver (Q33 chip on this quad core
>> system).
>>

> My monitor is a 21inch Sun Microsystem CRT.  It has a proprietary Sun
> cable with a HUGE connector and a VGA port so it supports two video
> sources.  My guess, this CRT has no PnP firmware for reporting what
> video settings it can support.  Which is also likely the reason why
> Windows Vista freaks out when I plug it into my laptop.
>
> I really need to upgrade to a flat panel one of these days.

I have one of those 21 inch Sun monitors (GDM 5010 I believe), it is not
detected as anything special but it does go to the correct resolution
(1600x1200 @ 50 Hz I believe) using the huge cable on a Sparc or the VGA
on a normal PC, without tweaks. Looking in the display options shows a
long list of supported resolutions.