Should I buy a new graphics card or a new computer?

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 28 15:51:57 UTC 2009

Thomas Kaiser wrote:
> Hello All
>
> I have a ASUS 8AN-SLI Deluxe MB with AMD 64 Bit processor and a nVidia
> GeForce 6600 GT graphics card. This box is now about 4 years old.
>
> I upgraded lately to Ubuntu 9.04 and can't configure the xserver to work
> with my 2 monitors correctly.
>
> Would a new graphics card help?

Presumably you had this configuration working OK in the past ?

If so, then at least you know the hardware can support it, and thus
there is no reason (modulo bugs) why it cannot be done in 9.04.

I would suggest posting a few more details on what exactly goes wrong
with your current hardware, before thinking about expending cash on new
hardware ... The X log would be a start ;)

Chris