Jaunty Joy

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 13:22:56 UTC 2009

I've been an Ubuntu user for only about two years now, before that I
dabbled in it from time to time.  Mostly I'd mess with Red Hat and
once I messed with Mandrake before they became Mandriva.  This new
version of Ubuntu is perhaps the best I've used so far.  I've lived
with Kubuntu for a while now, over a year, but I prefer Gnome.  The
only reason I was using Kubuntu 8.04 was because the screen resolution
settings window included options to select your model monitor.  This
is now missing from Ubuntu, which I think is a mistake but that's a
debate for another time.  Needless to say, a quick editing session
with my xorg.conf file fixed my resolution issues.

This is by far the fastest of the Ubuntu distros I've used.  Ubuntu
7.10 was much slower than this, and Kubuntu 8.04 was even slower than
that.  Flash video doesn't drop frames or freeze up from time to time,
and applications are fast and responsive.  Getting DVD and media file
playback working was also pretty easy (certain codecs aren't included
because of greedy corporations and laws, fuck the RIAA).  Needless to
say this version of Ubuntu has really impressed me a lot.

The distro is really moving in the right direction if they keep making
these kinds of improvements.  Now if only they can fix the screen
resolution window by adding a tab for selecting your monitor's model
it would be perfect.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com