Xubuntu video display completely screwed (was: Can't log in to Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty)

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Apr 28 05:04:42 UTC 2009

Dave M G wrote:
> 12 hours ago I upgraded my Panasonic laptop from Xubuntu 8.10 to
> 9.04. The laptop has been running Xubuntu since 8.04, and never had
> any troubles of any kind.
>
> However, on Jaunty, the video display is completely unusable. At the
> login screen and after logging in, the desktop resolution is
> over-sized in such a way so that only the top left quarter or eighth
> fills the entire screen.

Do you still have a previous version of /etc/X11/xorg.conf for that
machine? It may be worth a try with that version should still work with
that config file. You may even find an older version in /etc/X11/. Copy
that version to xorg.conf and restart your xserver.

Other than that, can you tell us what video hardware you have?

Nils