Installing Ubuntu

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 28 00:18:03 UTC 2009

On 04/27/2009 04:29 PM, Chris Mohler wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 6:00 PM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>    Your TOO poor to be owning a computer. Sell it and give up on Ubuntu.
>
> Karl: no such thing.  My first (pentium-based) PC was made from bits
> of trash(!) I found on the curb and ran Redhat (5?).  And just right
> this moment, I myself could not justify a spurious $50 expense -
> things are that tight, even though I would not consider myself "poor".
>  I'm well fed, have a roof over my head, and a broadband connection -
> makes me wealthier than a lot of people.
>
> Although with 256 Mb of RAM, I'd be looking into using XFCE and
> installing in text mode.  DSL and Puppy linux might also be good
> options.   Or hang out at your local thrift store's dumpster(s) -
> Goodwill is known for pitching out computer equipment, and after a
> week or two you should be able to score some RAM, among other things
> (my wifi adapter - running dd-wrt - came from a Goodwill dumpster).
>
> Chris

+1

I've 5 systems; all tossed by businesses or schools because they didn't
meet 'MS Vista' standards. They range from 1Ghz to 2.4Ghz and all I
needed to do for the most part is add some memory. Mind you, old memory
*is* expensive, so most of the added RAM was plucked out of other
discarded systems. 3 have nvidia NV25GL [Quadro4 900 XGL] that were
picked up for about $4 each. All work just fine :-)