Installing Ubuntu

Chris Mohler cr33dog at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 23:29:06 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 6:00 PM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:

>    Your TOO poor to be owning a computer. Sell it and give up on Ubuntu.

Karl: no such thing.  My first (pentium-based) PC was made from bits
of trash(!) I found on the curb and ran Redhat (5?).  And just right
this moment, I myself could not justify a spurious $50 expense -
things are that tight, even though I would not consider myself "poor".
 I'm well fed, have a roof over my head, and a broadband connection -
makes me wealthier than a lot of people.

Although with 256 Mb of RAM, I'd be looking into using XFCE and
installing in text mode.  DSL and Puppy linux might also be good
options.   Or hang out at your local thrift store's dumpster(s) -
Goodwill is known for pitching out computer equipment, and after a
week or two you should be able to score some RAM, among other things
(my wifi adapter - running dd-wrt - came from a Goodwill dumpster).

Chris