Installing Ubuntu

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Sun Apr 26 15:14:28 UTC 2009

Sean or Mona wrote:

> It was a disaster for me.  A terrible disaster.
> This bugger is a 1.8 ghz Pentium 4 that I'm running.  But I tried
> installing Ubuntu 9.04 and not only did it crawl like molasses but nothing
> could be done with it.
> Indeed I'm not sure if the menus were supposed to work in a similar
> fashion to MS Windoze, but I tried left clicking, right clicking, double
> clicking, just waiting to see if they drop on their own - nothing.
> A misaligned screen display didn't help much, I suppose. But after all the
> hope and hype and buildup and anticipation that I had subjected myself to
> -- I was really let down.
> I was really hoping it would be my salvation from Windoze. No. It was
> useless. So I'm back with Windoze 2000 and the very least I can say about
> it is -- well.... it works.

It's a 1.8 GHz Pentium 4 - what did you expect?  I admit the release notes
say that should be sufficient, but still...  It's going to drag. How much
memory do you have?

So it works on Windows 2000 - you could probably get great performance out
of a Dapper version of Ubuntu, too.

And no, the menus aren't supposed to work like Windows.
--
derek