Desktop Search

Rick rick0009 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 05:48:55 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 19:03 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 04/23/2009 06:23 PM, Rick wrote:
> > In 9.04 what is the main desktop search engine?
> > I can see tracker is NOT installed by default...
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Rick
> >

> Don't know, but:
>
> Thank you, thank you <Diety/Ubuntu>! Maybe I _will_ do an upgrade to
> Jaunty this weekend after all :-)
>
> One of my first tasks when installing 8.04 and/or 8.10 is:
>
> sudo apt-get purge tracker
>
> I'm sure that Tracker has it's benefits for those who use it... but I've
> never found it useful & instead found it to be (for me) a resource hog
> and overall nuisance.

I gathered by your post, you don't like desktop search engines?
if tracker all that bad, is there any good ?

Gets a little hard searching threw 1.2TB of Music files, and 2.29TB of
Video files..  / search threw audio and video in the meta data, would be
nice...

That not to mention my .pdf collection 29.6GB worth, which I would like
to be able to search all the text contain.

So, does Ubuntu offer anything to meet the task?

Thank You
Rick