help for Virtualization

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 22 01:09:34 UTC 2009

On 04/21/2009 05:41 PM, NoOp wrote:

> Regarding games; the latest versions of VirtualBox (2.4.1 and 2.2.0) now
> provide 3D OpenGL support, so the performance in that area has improved:
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog
>
> That said; I've not tried any video intensive games on my Win2KPro
> guest. So, you'll just have to test & try.

Sorry, I just looked at the 2.2.0 manual (page 70) and it shows these
restrictions:

<quote>
The 3D acceleration currently has the following preconditions:
1. It is only available for certain Windows and Linux guests. In particular:
• For Windows guests, support is restricted to 32-bit versions of XP and
Vista. Only OpenGL acceleration is presently available in the guests
listed above; Direct3D is not yet supported and will be added in a
future release.

• Linux guests must have kernel 2.6.27 and higher as well as X.org
server version 1.5 and higher. Ubuntu 8.10 and Fedora 10 have been
tested and confirmed as working.
</quote>