delete Windows ME?

Steven Susbauer steven at too1337.com
Tue Apr 21 03:37:20 UTC 2009

Mossman wrote:
> Our older PC has Windows ME OS and we would like to replace it with
> Ubuntu.  We downloaded Ubuntu, but it won't open.  It requests a program
> to open it and we don't seem to have what will do that.  Should we
> delete ME first?  How do we get Ubuntu (or other Linux)?  Thanks, Carol

You will have to burn the iso file to a cd using a burning program that
supports CD images, such as InfraRecorder or Nero. I don't know if any
work within ME so you may have to use another computer if you can, or if
it doesn't have a burner.

If you do not have access to another computer or a burner, you can also
order a CD from https://shipit.ubuntu.com/ (for free), or possibly your
local Ubuntu team can hook you up: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamList
- I am sure that somebody on this list would also send you a CD to make
sure you can get into Ubuntu, if you want.

If you know the machine can boot from USB, the program Unetbootin can
install the ISO to a USB stick (large enough to hold it) in such a way
that the system can boot and install from the USB.

Lots of ways to install or get a copy, I hope this helps.

 -Steve