Confused about compiz plugins, trying to get "window rules" plugin

David M. Karr davidmichaelkarr at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 00:06:51 UTC 2009

NoOp wrote:
> On 04/19/2009 08:50 AM, David M. Karr wrote:
>> There appears to be so much documentation on Compiz plugins that I can't
>> figure it out at all. :)
>>
>> I'm using Gnome, and I'd like to figure out how to make certain
>> application windows ALWAYS sticky, without having to select "Always on
>> Visible Workspace" each time I bring it up.
>>
>> Looking through the "Compiz plugins" list, I found something called
>> "Window Rules" which seems to be what I need.  The problem is, I can't
>> find anything that actually says how to install and configure Compiz
>> plugins, or whether that's actually what I need.
>>

> There are so may options/plugins that I doubt that anyone can figure
> them all out... However, here are some places to start:
>
> http://wiki.compiz-fusion.org/
>  http://wiki.compiz-fusion.org/CCSM
> http://wiki.compiz-fusion.org/PluginsExtra
> http://m.linuxjournal.com/article/10213

Ok, I've read through much of those references, but it only got me so
far.  The basic problem I have is that changing the settings in the
"Window Rules" page doesn't actually appear to DO anything.

For instance, I set the "sticky" field to:

     class=emacs | class=gnome-system-monitor

As I can't find any statement anywhere that says I'm supposed to do
something besides just put a value in that field (there is no "Save",
"Done", or "Apply" button), I would assume that after I set that field
with a legal value and use the "Close" operation, if I bring up a new
window whose window class matches either of those values, it should set
the "Always on Visible Workspace" checkbox, and the window should appear
in every workspace.  This doesn't appear to be happening. The checkbox
isn't set, and the window only appears in the workspace I bring up the
window in.

I'm sure I'm misinterpreting something, but I'm not sure what it is.