Laptop installation

Frans ketelaars at wanadoo.nl
Mon Apr 20 12:47:51 UTC 2009

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 13:36:32 +0300, Avraham Hanadari wrote:

> I went to the Vista Computer Management / Disk Management. Disk
> properties are: Capacity 111 GB; Used 73.5 GB; Free 38.2 GB Disk shrink
> revealed 114472 mb on HD, but 0 mb available for shrinkage. I guess the
> swap file is there. At any rate, Im stopped.
>
> Any ideas? I could probably move some stuff elsewhere to free up space,
> but would it make any difference if an elastic (and invisible) swap file
> is there?

Here is the official guide from Microsoft: http://tinyurl.com/67ll76 .
At the end it says:

<quote>
You can also repartition hard disks with a third-party partitioning
program. Several third-party manufacturers offer programs that allow you
to repartition your hard disk without erasing data.
</quote>

Googling shows many problems with Vista's shrink feature.

You can try the GParted Live CD from http://gparted.sourceforge.net/ ,
though I guess the Ubuntu installer would also offer to do the shrinking
of the Vista partition for you.

IMO Vista's shrink feature has very limited functionality. If Vista is
running on a partition you can hardly expect it to move _everything_ to
the 'front' of that mounted partition I think.

But Microsoft, in the above article, might have mentioned that the third-
party partitioning programs they mention offer (much) more
functionality :)

    -Frans