Laptop installation

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 12:06:36 UTC 2009

Avraham Hanadari wrote:
> Ubuntu 8.1 is running fine, if slowly, on my test machine (470.5 MiB),
> dual booted with XP Pro. I would like to install 9.04 on my HP Pavilion
> with Vista Home Premium, but I have read horror stories about
> partitioning an HD with Vista installed, and about GRUB access
> difficulties after installation. I have also read that the new 9.04
> manages to partition a Vista machine well. I guess I just need someone
> who has done it to give me directions.
>
> First off, can such an installation be done?
>
> Second, are there any special steps or is the partition manager in the
> setup capable of doing the job?
>
> Third, are there any special precautions or software installations to
> facilitate the activation of GRUB?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Avraham

    Hello it is very possible to have 3 or more versions of Ubuntu on a
laptop IF the hard drive is large enough. The Vista is in the first
partition always. Look at what the hard drive looks like before you
install the second Ubuntu. Make sure there is enough space to do it. I
prefer to manually make the partition before I install.

Karl