Missing hard drive space

Amedee Van Gasse (Ubuntu) amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Mon Apr 20 08:25:29 UTC 2009

On Mon, April 20, 2009 10:07, MG wrote:
> I was speaking in short hand that's all, I won't do it again as I see
> it's confusing

Great! Now we are getting somewhere.

> English is my 1st language as Iive in the UK

Oops... You know, your shorthand really looked like someone from Timbuktu.
:-)
So how is my English? Is it good enough?

> I mounted by typing mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb1 and the same for each
> drive, sdb1, sdc1, sdd1 One of them didn't work probably as it's NTFS
> It only stays mounted for that session

Go to a console and type the following:

sudo nano /etc/fstab

This will open a text file with already a few lines.
My version of that file on my Debian box goes like this:

/dev/sda1     /     ext3     errors=remount-ro       0     1
proc          /proc proc     rw,nodev,nosuid,noexec  0     0
/dev/sda2     none  swap     sw                      0     0

I'm not at home now, my Ubuntu fstab is longer.

At the bottom you add new lines, like this:

/dev/sda1  /mnt/usb1  fat    defaults                0     0

Replace fat with ntfs or ext3, depending on the filesystem.
Save the file and exit.
Then type "sudo mount -a" to see if it worked.
It should stick after reboot.

> and one drive does not show at all
> while others seem to have lost space like the one that's 3 gig can u
> explain that please?

Sorry, no. Perhaps someone else?

--
Amedee