Network Adapters not Working

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 18 02:19:52 UTC 2009

On 04/12/2009 03:11 PM, Shobhit Sharma wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> I just joined your team. I installed Ubantu with dual boot VISTA. All is
> fine but my network driver, both wired and wireless, are not working.
> I am attaching some logs. I am not able to trace them. I hope any one else
> can solve this problem.
>
> My network driver is: Realtek RTL8102E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS
> 6.0).
> My Wireless adapter is: Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter.
>
> Please help to switch from giant VISTA. Looking forward for your kind
> response.
>
> Regards
> Shobhit

Shobhit,

I normally recommend that you troubleshoot the wired first, but I'm
afraid that it doesn't look too promising just yet - it appears to be a
kernel bug:

[2.6.27.11 kernel breaks r8169 support for rtl8102e - note the
references to -7 as well]

So it might be better in this case to actually troubleshoot the wireless
so that at least you can get a connection. Unfortunately Atheros AR5007
requires some dedicated effort as well:

<http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Bintrepid+%2B"Atheros+AR5007"&btnG=Search>

I recommend that for your system that you instead install hardy (8.04.2)
for now. You can first test via Vista by installing 8.04.2 using the
Wubi installer (and or a liveCD). Mirror downloads are located via this
page:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#wubi
If you don't wish to download via a torrent, then pick a mirror close to
you and download the wubi.exe for 8.04.2 from that. Example:

http://ubuntu-releases.cs.umn.edu/8.04/
http://ubuntu-releases.cs.umn.edu/8.04/wubi.exe

See: http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide
http://wubi-installer.org/support.php

Once you've verified 8.04.2 works (either via Wubi or liveCD) then you
can reinstall hardy on your dual-boot. I _think_ that you should be OK
with the hardy installation/kernels.