server being a pain...

a_puzzeled_newbie(^_^); benjamin1254 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 23:21:51 UTC 2009

well like the title says the server i have set up at a remote location is
being a pain in my rear! its an old p3 machine with 64 megs of ram... 128
soon as i get the other ram chip from the other machine i am scrapping. So
far i have been able to install server edition 5.04 and upgrade from there.
All other installs fail due to a stall at the partitioning section. Even
when i run the cd check it says everything is fine on the disk and that it
is ok. I am wanting to create a simple server for music sharing around the
house... a video collection area.....  web site hosting while a windows box
provides the dyndns update client up to date status. So far running this
thing has been a royal pain in the *insert body part here*. I have been
giving it the disk it needs and wants yet..... when i ask it to install an
ftp server it asks for the same disk over and over again and even when i
give it the disk it asks for it doesent see it. I am at wits end here and so
far all i can think of is maybe updating the system later on when i have a
chance to gather a new set of parts. But it would REALLY help if i could get
this computer running. Idk guys what do you think should i switch OS' and
try something else or.... idk but any help would be wonderful because
hosting this all on a windows box that is constantly used just wont do it.
thanks all,
benjamin1254