the infamous linux wifi monster strikes

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed Apr 15 06:20:47 UTC 2009

Robert Holtzman wrote:
> /etc/network/interfaces shows:

> iface eth1 inet dhcp
> wpa-psk
> d2719392f568b4954ceb9f64da69382e157a996aa81a86833c5955470bc2f6ab
> wpa-driver wext
> wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
> wpa-proto WPA
> wpa-ssid linksys_OW_32486
>
> There was a box in the Network Manager drop down to enable wireless.
> Now it's gone.

If you setup your wireless with /etc/network/interfaces network manager
will not care about that interface any longer. It is either network
manager or /etc/network/interfaces.

If your post shows the complete interfaces file I don't see the line

auto eth1

and without that line it doesn't work for me.

Finally if that wpa key is not made up, you should better change your
passphrase because now the world can connect to your wireless router.

Nils