Movie Player

Roy Smith rasmith1959 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 05:12:09 UTC 2009

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Roy Smith wrote:
>
>> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>>

>>>     The title is the new name for Totem. It is terrible software I and
>>> thousands others have replaced with the VLC software. In all versions of
>>> Ubuntu up to Jaunty I have been able to remove Totem from my computer.
>>> On Jaunty it appears it is not possible to kill this poor excuse of a
>>> Movie  Player.
>>>
>>>     As it is now I must specify use of VLC on every thing I use. Not
>>> doing that causes Movie Player to come up and want to find new drivers
>>> so it can show me what VLC does out of the BOX!
>>>
>>>     Is there somewhere I can tell Ubuntu to use VLC instead of
>>> Totem/Movie Player?
>>>

>> You might want to take a look at this from the Ubuntu forums:

>> This goes through the steps to set up Ubuntu for all kinds of multimedia
>> stuff, from playing DVD's to MP3's.  There's even a section in there
>> that will tell you how to make VLC the default movie player...
>>

>     Thank you. That is quite a good place to go. I found the part on
> changing from totem to vlc and it worked without a fault.

You're welcome.  I could have just posted the section on making VLC the
default player, but I figured that since you're a newbie, like me, that
you'd like to see the rest of the article.  Yes you read that right, I'm
a newbie to Ubuntu too... only been using it for about 3 weeks now...

--

Roy Smith
Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex