problem with chmod

Amedee Van Gasse (ubuntu) amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Mon Apr 13 23:41:54 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton schreef:
> Brian McKee wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 9:50 PM, Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca>
>> wrote:
>>> Very.  I would never mount _anything_ from fstab at /mnt.  It doesn't
>>> really matter, but it's a non-standard mount point, and nothing will find
>>> files there under normal circumstances.
>> Derek -  care to restate that sentence?  I can't quite figure out what
>> you were trying to say, but suspect you mangled it.  /mnt is of course
>> the traditional place  mount things from fstab...
>
> No, it's not.  It's the traditional place to mount something that has no
> prescribed use - but it's not on your path, it's not likely searched by
> update-db, and I generally figure that anything that is in /etc/fstab
> should be "integrated".  Usually it will belong somewhere under the more
> standard hierarchy.
>
> I use /mnt for one-off mounts (where I tend to use /mnt itself, rather than
> a subdirectory), but never for fstab.

- From the official Linux Filing Hierarchy Standard (FHS) 2.3:
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html

/media : Mount point for removeable media

Purpose

This directory contains subdirectories which are used as mount points
for removeable media such as floppy disks, cdroms and zip disks.

Rationale

Historically there have been a number of other different places used to
mount removeable media such as /cdrom, /mnt or /mnt/cdrom. Placing the
mount points for all removeable media directly in the root directory
would potentially result in a large number of extra directories in /.
Although the use of subdirectories in /mnt as a mount point has recently
been common, it conflicts with a much older tradition of using /mnt
directly as a temporary mount point.
Specific Options

The following directories, or symbolic links to directories, must be in
/media, if the corresponding subsystem is installed:

Directory	Description
floppy	Floppy drive (optional)
cdrom	CD-ROM drive (optional)
cdrecorder	CD writer (optional)
zip	Zip drive (optional)

On systems where more than one device exists for mounting a certain type
of media, mount directories can be created by appending a digit to the
name of those available above starting with '0', but the unqualified
name must also exist. [16]

/mnt : Mount point for a temporarily mounted filesystem

Purpose

This directory is provided so that the system administrator may
temporarily mount a filesystem as needed. The content of this directory
is a local issue and should not affect the manner in which any program
is run.

This directory must not be used by installation programs: a suitable
temporary directory not in use by the system must be used instead.

The FHS doesn't say that you cannot use /mnt in fstab, neither does it
say that you can. This is left to the system administrator's discretion.
The FHS only says that you're not supposed to put system files on /mnt.