getting anonymous uploads through vsftp to work in ubuntu

Bram Kuijper a.l.w.kuijper at rug.nl
Thu Apr 9 17:58:48 UTC 2009

Hi all, I am using Ubuntu Intrepid and I am trying to get anonymous ftp
to work so that certain people can upload their stuff to my computer. I
know this is a risk, but the computer will only be online for a short
while. I use vsftp, with which it is possible to access the ftp server,
but not to upload files.

I use the following configuration file, which I put on pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/m193dc730

Then, as soon as I want to upload something to my anonymous ftp server,
I get the message "server said: Could not create file.

The attributes of my upload root directory for anonymous ftp users,
/home/bram/Downloads are:

drwxrwxr-x   8 1000    0  20K 2009-04-09 16:22 Downloads

is this a bug in vsftp, or what is going on here?

thanks for any help,

Bram